Job Announcement: Chief of Police
Bounded by New Hampshire’s cleanest lake and best swimming spot, Newfound Lake; less than a two-hour drive from Boston; and a short drive to the White Mountains; the Town of Bristol is seeking its next full-time Police Chief. Governed by a five-member Board of Selectmen, the Police Chief, who also serves as the Town’s Deputy Emergency Management Director, oversees a $1.1 million budget for a department that is staffed by the chief, eight full time sworn officers, a part-time detective, part time sworn officers, a civilian support staff member and a K-9 dog.
The successful candidate will be:
- Thoroughly knowledgeable in the principles and practices of modern police administration and police methods.
- Be proficient in budgetary practices and procedures and general business administration.
- A voice of calm and reason that is open minded and can methodically earn the trust and respect of his/her staff members and guide the department through its challenges.
- A role model and mentor to senior staff and teaching them how to be leaders for subordinates.
- A good listener to community concerns about the issues it faces, and being open-minded, creative and collaborative problem solver willing to leverage partnerships with outside agencies and dedicated community volunteers.
- Skilled in written and oral communications.
Requirements include: Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice, Business Administration or a related field and ten (10) years of law enforcement experience with history of progressively increasing responsibilities that include serving in supervisory positions, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Must have, or be able to obtain, certification as a full time NH full-time Police Officer. Applicant must pass all pre-employment background checks.
See full profile, recruitment profile and standard town application form at www.townofbristolnh.org (scroll over Our Town and click on Employment / Volunteer).
Submit five (5) copies of application letter, resume and standard town application form to Nicholas J. Coates, Town Administration, 230 Lake Street, Bristol, NH 03222. Position is open until filled. Review of applications beginsDecember 4 with preliminary interviews to be scheduled shortly thereafter. Competitive salary and benefits DOQ/DOE. EEO Employer.