Stowe Police Department to provide quality service in a professional, respectful, and ethical manner to the 4,300+ year-round residents and 8,000—10,000 tourist population during peak periods.
Stowe Police Department is committed to excellence in law enforcement and dedicated to the people, traditions, and diversity of our town. We work in partnership with the community to preserve and improve the quality of life, making the town a safer, more pleasant place to live, work, and visit.
Stowe Police operates throughout the town’s 95 square miles of village streets, state roadways, mountain trails and forests, including the ski resort.
The Stowe Police Department has an opening for a Patrol Sergeant.
This is a supervisory police position with the responsibilities of a shift supervisor. The Sergeant supervises police patrol officers, their related police work and paperwork of all officers under his/her supervision. The Sergeant is responsible to and reports to the Chief of Police.
Patrol Sergeant serves as a supervisor, promoting a team environment, demonstrating active listening skills, coaching, and motivating employees. The Sergeant is required to exercise initiative and discretion when faced with community policing efforts as well as emergency situations.
Typical Duties include (but not limited to):
• Performs all duties relative to that of a Police Officer.
• Supervises patrol officers in the proper discharge of their duties, ensures their compliance to the department regulations and is responsible for their performance,
proficiency, conduct and appearance.
• Assumes command of criminal investigations and crime scenes.
• Enforces all Federal, State and local laws and ordinances within the Town of Stowe and the State of Vermont.
• Takes active charge in emergency situations and calls for service.
• Assists in the training of employees.
• Assigns officers to posts of duty and instructs them regarding their duties.
• Reviews and evaluates performance of patrol officers.
• Checks reports of patrol officers, reviews them for accuracy and completeness.
• Other tasks as directed or required by the Chief of Police.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Comprehensive knowledge of modern police administration, approved principles, practices and procedures of police work and of police methods.
• Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of patrol, traffic control, criminal investigation, crime detection and prevention and radio communications.
• Effective oral and written communications skills, resourcefulness, sound judgement in emergencies, high integrity and morals, high level of discipline.
Stowe Police Department
• Ability to command respect of the officers and to assign, direct and supervise their work.
• Ability to deal with the public courteously and firmly and to establish and maintain satisfactory public relations.
• Ability to analyze complex police problems and situations and to adopt quick, effective and reasonable courses of action.
• Applicants must have a minimum of five (5) years of law enforcement service.
• Vermont Level Ill Law Enforcement Certification or ability to obtain within a scheduled period of time.
• Possess a valid Driver’s License.
• Applicants must be able to perform the essential job functions.
• External applicants: Any required testing, medical exam, fingerprint check, and extensive background check.
Starting pay: $27.20 -$37.79 an hour, depending on qualifications and experience.
Town of Stowe provides excellent benefit package.
Current employees must submit a letter of interest and a resume to the Chief of Police.
External applicants must submit a Town employment application, letter of interest and a resume to the Chief of Police.
Chief Donald Hull
Stowe Police Department
350 South Main Street
Stowe, VT 05672
Email to: email@example.com
An application can be obtained on our website: www.townofstowevt.org.
Applications may be received until the position is filled; however anticipated start of the selection process will begin June 1, 2021.
Stowe is an equal opportunity employer