Chief of Police
Town of Nantucket, Massachusetts
Reposted – May 12, 2023
The Town of Nantucket is actively working to secure housing for the newly hired Police Chief.
The Town of Nantucket is seeking a community-oriented, experienced law enforcement professional to serve as its new Chief of Police.
The island of Nantucket is located approximately 30 miles south from Cape Cod, with an approximate year-round population of 14,500 and a seasonal population that can exceed 50,000. Although well-known as a summer destination spot, Nantucket has numerous boutiques and shops, restaurants, a vibrant year-round community, including a K-12 public school system, plus two small private schools, a hospital, its own airport and a pier facility on the waterfront. Residents and visitors enjoy its windswept beaches, sand dunes, historic character, blinking lighthouses and a charming pace of life. Nantucket is 14 miles in length and 3.5 miles wide and includes the small islands of Tuckernuck and Muskeget. Once the world’s foremost whaling port, the Island is now designated a National Historic Landmark. Nantucket is brimming with seaside cottages, old whaling captains’ mansions, historic harbors and large tracts of scenic open space.
The Police Chief shall have the responsibility for the administration and operation of the Nantucket Police Department, Communications Center, Emergency Management, Harbor Master and Animal Control. The Chief will plan and direct the internal and external activities of the Police Department in the enforcement of laws, regulations, and town bylaws. The Chief will establish realistic strategic planning goals, provide motivational leadership and direction to department staff. The ideal candidate will have a proven record of professionalism, integrity, transparency, cross cultural competency, and community engagement.
As a town leader, the Nantucket Police Chief will embody the core values of community policing. The Chief will engage in public events, outreach initiatives and respond to all inquiries, complaints, or grievances in a timely and professional manner. The Chief will be responsible for establishing and maintaining effective and productive working relationships with appointed and elected officials, department heads, federal, state and local agencies, community stakeholders, businesses and Nantucket residents.
The Nantucket Police Department is a full-service agency consisting of the following funded positions: 42 Police Officers, 10 Civilian Personnel, 10 Dispatchers and 35 seasonal Community Service Representatives, with a FY23 budget of approximately $8.6 Million.
· Education and Experience: Master’s Degree in Criminal Justice, Public Administration or a related field; more than ten (10) years of experience in the law enforcement field with at least five (5) years’ experience at a command or supervisory level; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job. Candidates are required to have extensive experience with community policing and working with labor unions.
· Candidates must be active in the law enforcement field and hold a minimum rank of Lieutenant to apply. Graduates of major policing executive development or leadership programs including FBI National Academy, Police Executive Research Forum Senior Management Institute for Police or Police Executive Leadership Institute are encouraged to apply.
· The ability to motivate department members to achieve community and department goals. Ability to recruit and inspire officers of diverse backgrounds. Possess the skills to build trust within the Department and Community.
· Experience in coastal/resort community preferred.
· Possession of or ability to obtain a valid Massachusetts driver’s license.
· Must have a valid Massachusetts Firearms License or the ability to obtain one upon hire.
· Applicants must be a graduate of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Municipal Police Training Committee (MPTC) Basic Recruit Officer Academy (or eligible for a Permanent Exemption by the MPTC) and must satisfy all requirements set forth by the Massachusetts Peace Officer Standards and Training Commission for certification as a Police Officer in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
SALARY: Salary range of $175,000 – $190,000 with up to an additional 25% educational incentive, commensurate with qualifications.
Interested applicants should apply online here. Please attach a cover letter and resume. The application deadline is 4:00 pm on Friday, June 9, 2023.
The town of Nantucket is an equal opportunity employer, qualified minority candidates are encouraged to apply.