The Rutland Police Department is seeking a community-oriented, experienced professional to serve as its new Police Lieutenant. Rutland is a rapidly growing, residential hill town in the geographic center of Massachusetts with a current population of approximately 9895. It is located 13 miles northwest of Worcester and 52 miles west of Boston. The town is administered by an Open Town Meeting, Select Board and Town Administrator form of Government. The department employs 14 full-time sworn officers, 3 part-time officers, 1 full-time administrative assistant and 1 full-time animal control officer, with an operating budget of 1.6 million.
The Police Lieutenant is appointed by the Town Administrator and works under the direct supervision of the Chief of Police. Under the general direction of the Chief of Police, the Police Lieutenant supervises, plans, and coordinates the activities and operations of assigned law enforcement services and activities of the Police Department including to serve as officer in charge, or other assignments deemed appropriate by the Chief of Police; coordinates assigned activities with other departments and outside agencies; including patrol, support services, traffic, administration, and detectives.
• Education: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in criminal justice, criminology, police science, business administration, public administration or a related field. Graduates of policing leadership/supervisory development programs including FBI-LEEDA, Roger Williams Command Training, etc., are encouraged to apply;
• Experience: Ten years of increasingly responsible law enforcement experience, including three years of administrative and/or supervisory experience as a Police Sergeant, equivalent, or higher. Candidates must be active in the law enforcement field. Any equivalent combination of education and experience may also be considered;
• Leadership: The ability to motivate department members to achieve community and department goals. To influence, inspire and help officers become their best selves, building their skills and achieving goals along the way. Possess the skills to build trust within the department and community;
• Possession of or ability to obtain a valid Massachusetts driver’s license;
• Must have a valid Massachusetts Firearms License or the ability to obtain one upon hire;
• Applicants must be a graduate of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Municipal Police Training Committee (MPTC) Basic Recruit Officer Academy (or eligible for a Permanent Exemption by the MPTC) and must satisfy all requirements set forth by the Massachusetts Peace Officer Standards and Training Commission for certification as a Police Officer in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts;
• SALARY: Salary range is up to $112,985, plus benefits commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and résumé, as a single PDF file, via email to Municipal Resources, Inc at [email protected]. Applications will be accepted through August 23, 2023. A job description and additional information relating to this opportunity has been posted at www.mrigov.com/career. Applicants are encouraged to visit www.townofrutland.org and www.rutlandpd.us for more information on our community and department.
All applications for this position will be held in confidence. The Town of Rutland is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or age.